Monday, March 17, 2008

StainStudio: On art, music, and academia

I recently discovered a wealth of customizing options on my electronic drumset, options that allow me to personalize my drumset down to the quarter of an inch in drum depth, head style, room ambience and tuning tension. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to explore all the different options but I changed several and ended up with an even better sounding live drumset. I changed the name of the setting to StainStudio.

With the new settings I felt so at home behind my digi-skins. I could hear them better, they were richer, deeper, crisper, everything a live drummer wants from a kit. The band was tight that night, everyone was right on, no hitches, and all the experimenting we had done with midi keyboards, macs, Mackie monitors, stacked keys, and guitar tones were afterthoughts. The creativity flowed, the music moved and God was glorified through it all.

There was only one problem. Hanging over my head were 3 large papers, 2 huge exams and a partridge in a pear tree (a schedule full of meetings and rehearsals that stole time away from the necessary work on these projects). So when the art was over, when the creativity left the stage, I sat down at a computer and opened book after book written by men who see very little if not nothing creative, artistic or beautiful about the book of Ezekiel. I'm writing about all the systems men have discovered to explain the what, where, when, why and who of the Scriptures while my heart is longing for something beautiful.


I want the Words of God to be beautiful again, to sit in awe of them and never lose my wonder. To seek to understand after I spend twice as long marveling over them

To systemize only as a way to marvel at them more and never too much

To be smitten by them

To love them

To need them

To desire them...


Don't let me lose my wonder.

No comments: