Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Life

The limerick-crazy, bearded, organic Andrew Peterson is not only my favorite musician but one of my all time favorite songwriters. Far Country, his latest studio project, focuses many of the songs on death.
"Lay Me Down" says

When you lay me down to die, I'll miss my boys, I'll miss my girls
Lay me down and let me say goodbye to this world
You can lay me anywhere but just remember this,
when you lay me down to die, you lay me down to live.

"More" says

This is not the hardest part of all, this is just the seed that has to fall.
All our lives we till the ground until we lay our sorrows down and watch the sky for rain.
There is more, more than all this pain,
more than ll the falling down and the getting up again.
There is more, more than we can see, from our tiny vantage poin tin this vast eternity.

What is death?
Death is a result of a fallen world.
Death is ugly, and painful and repulsive
Death is offensive

But when a man who has loved the Lord his whole life is lying in his own bed at home breathing heavily, moments from death. His family draws close, his grown daughter lies in bed with him, helping him breath le mans style. She reminds him of the times she used to lie in that bed as a little girl when she was scared. She says "daddy I'll be here with you until the angels come."
His 40 year-old son reads aloud Psalm 91 as the man breathes his last.
No shouting in sorrow.
No breakdowns of anguish.
His dear wife says,
"He's in Glory"

This man died.

He was immediately in...Glory

With...
God.

For those who are in Christ, death is life.
His family was sad, because humans can't understand heaven's reality fully. They still miss papaw at Christmas and his wife still tears up on their anniversary. But they are comforted because daddy is with Jesus.

Death happens every day, every minute, even since you started reading this people have died.
But people of God,
Death is...

Life

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nathan!
Wow it was soo good to see you Friday night. You know though I've only talked with you a few times..I really think much of you. Just from the way you caring yourself and the way you sister speaks about you, also you amazing thoughts on "paper". You just seem to be an extremely passionate person and I hope to talk with you more. God Bless you brother! And thank you for blessing me with you words!(Summertime08@sbcglobal.net)