Saturday, November 25, 2006

...the Bibles are free

Last night I stumbled across what turned out to be one of the best experiences I've had in a while. While at the Fairfield Commons mall I noticed a store that had brightly colored art, wooden carvings, organic-looking clothes and candles. Naturally I was interested so I looked up to the store sign to see "go fish". I thought, that sounds slightly Jesus-like. So I walked in with high expectations. I was unsure of the nature of these items but noticed that the usual earthy-looking people behind the counters of stores of this nature were instead family-looking people who were obviously not earthy. As I smelled all of the "Palm tree wax" candles in fragrances such as "Sunrise", "Night Sky" and "Holiday Spirit" my attention was drawn to the rack of wooden birds and giraffes next to me. As I looked at the art my eye caught the glimpse of a photograph with three ethnic people who looked very poor, and one of them was holding the very wooden bird that I had picked up to look at. The top of the picture said simply "the Nyambi family", followed by a brief bio which I didn't read. The next rack over had similarly ethnic looking art and another picture of another poor family called "the Guiemb family" and another bio. I thought to myself this has the feel of a ministry. I turned around and found "God's Story" Bibles lying on the check out counter and my thoughts were confirmed. The "God's Story" Bibles are very cool because they tell the Bible story like a 5 act drama and I've wanted one for some time. I said "These are cool, i wonder how much they are." and the girl behind the counter stopped what she was doing and with great joy told me, "the Bibles are free."

For a moment I forgot that I was in the mall.

After looking around some more I started a conversation with the store manager and found out that the point of the store was to give artists overseas in developing countries a market in which to sell their art. These families or individuals are seeking to get out of poverty and the ministry "go fish" pays to have their art shipped to America to sell in "go fish" stores. I'm not quite sure how the families get their money, only that families have successfully ended poverty for themselves because of this ministry. The lady told me that once a year all of the "go fish" store managers go to Peru to work with a pastor.

This was more than a retail store. And what's more, the stuff they sold was quality, authentic. I spent almost $20 my first time, mainly because it's all I had. They sell everything from art, to sculptures, journals, clothes, anything someone in poverty can make with easily acquired materials.

I couldn't help but think about other "Christian" stores who act more "store" than "Christian".

Jesus is proud

www.gofishretail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nathan!
Wow I checked out that stores website and from what I saw..there seems to be some unique things in there. I hope to go there some day! Oh and thanks for writing about Josh Bailes**...he is an amazing writer/artist. It would be such an honor to write with him. Dude I think we have a lot in common when it comes to music. Cool! Well anyways sweet post! LATER!