Thursday, March 13, 2008

McDonald's, a McGriddle and motion sickness



This morning I had the opportunity to do something outside of my ordinary daily routine. Instead of waking up at 9:30 and scrambling to make it by 10, I woke up in a different bed than usual at 7:30, took my girlfriend to an appointment and had breakfast at a nearby McDonald's. I have to say, though, that it was not as nice of a process as it might sound. The 7:30 wake-up call was pleasant and driving 20 miles in the morning crispness and pre-spring sunshine was nice too. It was the following event that didn't strike my fancy. McDonald's is arguably the worst possible thing a person can do to their body.

I meant that.

Try smoking a pack for a month and getting a check-up. Then try eating McDonald's for every meal for a month and getting a check-up. I promise you that the results from the McDonald's is going to be worse. I doubt it's even food. Oh, it tastes like you want to have it for every meal but wait about 10 minutes. If it's possible to watch yourself get more unhealthy it happens after a McDonald's meal.

After Celeste came out of her appointment she got in the car and I asked her how she was doing and she said "I'm not feeling very good". (She had been sick the last couple days with a stomach flu). I knew that the next 25 minutes were going to be rough. She gets motion sickness pretty bad and that's when she's not sick.


I was right. Every bump and curve in the road made me more and more nervous that she wasn't going to make it. She tried every position of lying down, sitting up, leaning forward. Eyes open, eyes closed, glasses on, glasses off. She tried hands on her forehead, hands on her neck, hands in her lap. The problem was, nothing helped. I drove ever so carefully, but not too slow, I wanted to get her home.

I say all this to say that it sucks to be sick. Not that you needed me to tell you but I was reminded today just how frail and temporary our bodies are.

Unlike most of my other posts this one has no point to it, you won't feel changed after reading it but I think i want to start writing more often and this was an opportunity to do that. Thanks for allowing me.



No comments: